Friday, April 25, 2014

Food and Recipe ~ Refried Beans

This is my favorite recipe for making refried beans. This recipe is to use with a slow cooker, it makes a lot but its not a problem. I package the leftovers into the amount I use for a meal and freeze. Then the next time I need refried beans I take a container out and let it thaw, heat and eat.

The following link is from allrecipes.com, I did not create this recipe, but have enjoyed making and eating them.

Refried Beans Without the Refry

INGREDIENTS:
1 onion, peeled and halved
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and
chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black
pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
9 cups water
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
2.Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.


These are some of the things I do different from what the recipe says.
I dice my onion before adding to the slow cooker.
I don't add the jalapeno anymore and we don't miss it, but if you like your beans on the spicy side make sure you add them.
I only use 4 teaspoons of salt.
and the cumin I use about 1/2 a teaspoon.

I have made this recipe over 20 times and we always enjoy them. Once you eat these you will never like the canned refried beans again. Its a fairly easy recipe.
I hope you give this recipe a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment